Monday, February 2, 2009

Richard's 12th Birthday Dinner

We celebrated Richard's birthday dinner with his Andrus grandparents after church. Rich chose to have his favorite Italian dinner: grilled chicken, seashell pasta with Alfredo sauce (he also loves garlic), french bread, grandma's yummy fruit salad, and a green salad. The night before we also went as a family to his favorite restaurant choice, Carl's Junior. I actually enjoyed their guacamole burger! This was after a day of Rich going to his first County Honor Band practice, as he tried out and made it the previous Saturday, playing the oboe.After dinner, Richard enjoyed roasting a marshmallow on his single candle (I forgot to stock up). He had chosen a dark chocolate fudge cake mix to be topped with chocolate pudding that had green tiny mint chips in it. I poked holes in the cake with the end of a wooden spoon, and Dan mixed up the pudding and poured it over the cake. We refrigerated it while we ate dinner. It was very yummy.
Of course, Richard is a pyromaniac (along with sidekick Austin who spent much of dinner putting his finger over a candle flame or making ring tones on the crystal glass). Here he's proven his ability to roast that marshmallow until it is black. For his 12th birthday we told him he could choose a trip in the U.S.. He chose to go to see Rhode Island, as he had done a report on it in 5th grade and is still fascinated by it. On Saturday night I spent a lot of time looking at airfares and hotels and we finally chose to fly on April 14th-April 18th from SLO to Providence (myself and Richard) and stay at a hotel in Newport within walking distance of downtown and all the old historical mansions and the Cliff Walk. It will be early spring there, so no leaves on the trees, I imagine, but there is a daffodil show at one mansion and botanical gardens, etc. It will be interesting to see what Richard wants to do and how it all turns out. The trip is booked and paid for, so no turning back now. It is during Dan's spring break, but Richard will have to miss 4 days of school (we call this an "educational trip"). I hope we can go up to Boston, see the Plymouth Rock and Mayflower, etc. Richard has also once said he wants to attend RI University and we could check it out. There is also Brown University in Providence and many more in Massachussetts and Connecticut. If it were me, I'd love to drive up the coast to see Prince Edward Island again, stay near the Anne of Green Gables home, and see the cherry orchard in blossom. I can't wait for the trip!

2 comments:

Hilary said...

congratulations making all county band richard!

brenda said...

That cake pan is so cute. And yummy idea with the pudding.

Enjoy your trip with Richard. That will be a memorable bonding experience, I'm sure.